I don’t know about you, but after the excesses of holiday eating, I’m so ready for something simple and nourishing.
I was inspired by a recent segment on The Splendid Table podcast about basic green soup.
I also am a big fan of The Soup Peddler‘s (colorful Austin vendor of soups, juices, smoothies, and more) green detox broth.
Here’s my mashup, made in an Instant Pot using an immersion blender. I now have some good simple eating for the week and some to put in the freezer.
You can easily make this vegan or Paleo using your own adaptations. Recipes are for inspiration!
- 2 tablespoons of ghee, bacon grease, coconut oil, or olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper to taste (optional)
- 3 cups water, vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Arborio rice (improves texture after blending)
- 16 cups of leafy greens, herbs, broccoli, and zucchini (whatever is green and in season), coarsely chopped
- 4 cups water, vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- a pinch of cayenne
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- any other seasonings desired
- olive oil to garnish
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add fat, onions, salt, and pepper.
- Stir occasionally while cooking for 5 minutes, lid off.
- Stir, put the lid on, seal, and pressure cook for 20 minutes. Release pressure and remove lid. Onions should have a nice caramel color.
- Stir in 3 cups water or broth and 1/4 cup Arborio rice. Put the lid on, seal, and pressure cook for 1 minute. Release pressure manually and remove lid.
- Stir in the green veggies and add 4 more cups water or broth to Instant Pot. Pressure cook for 4 minutes. Release pressure and remove lid.
- Use an immersion blender in the pot, blending until contents are liquified.
- Add cayenne and lemon juice to taste. Adjust seasonings as desired. Garnish with olive oil.