I’ve been writing about TMJ pain and dysfunction on my Facebook business page and on my Austin, Texas, USA, private-practice website’s blog. Now I’m sharing an index of these posts here on my “big blog”.
If you have TMJ disorder and want to read any of those posts, here are the links.
I view TMJ issues as not just biomechanics, although it plays a role. This issue has social, emotional, historical, biological, cognitive, and spiritual aspects. I am very aware that some people, especially in the mainstream medical and dental fields, may believe it’s unnecessary or even laughable to provide information on so-called “woo-woo” or “fluffy” topics like essential oils, yoga, and the throat chakra for people who are suffering from jaw pain and dysfunction.
So let me share how I came to write this series of posts. Instead of just going to experts (and I have done that), I also asked women who suffer from this problem what helps, and they told me. And I believe them!
Since nine times more women than men experience severe, chronic TMJ issues, this is super valuable information to share.
I want the world to know that TMJ treatment is available beyond night guards, pain meds, and surgery, and there are so many options for self-care: massage, exercises, training yourself in new habits, reducing stress, improving posture, acupressure, nutrition, stretching, journaling, meditating, and more. I’m working on designing programs to evaluate and treat specific TMJ-related issues. More later!
If you bump into this limited and limiting attitude, please share this post, and please share in the comments your experiences and any other resources you have found helpful.
- Who experiences it?
- Types, causes, and exercises for TMJ issues
- Stress and TMJ issues
- The relaxing breath
- What various professions do to help
- Reducing night grinding
- Reducing daytime clenching
- Releasing trigger points in your jaw muscles
- Videos of self-care techniques
- Acupressure points for self-care
- Foods and nutrients that can make a difference
- The jaw-pelvis connection
- The jaw and the endocrine system
- The role of the sphenoid in structural health
- Using essential oils for pain relief
- The throat chakra
- Music to heal the throat chakra
- An upper-body yoga sequence
- Sleep posture